If you are from Calicut to visit Mananthavady you require at least 3 Nights, 4 Days and it would be great if you have more but ideally in 3 Nights / 4 Days you can cover majority of this place. I would also provide some add-on or pop-up day tours which you can include exclude as you like.
- Holiday Hill Hotel Kartikulam, Mysore Road, Mananthavady , a 3 star hotel, s comfortable designed and well-appointed rooms fitted with modern conveniences. In-room amenities include air-conditioner, cable television, intercom, ironing board, sofa unit, hot/cold running water and bathroom amenities. Guests can visit Kuruwa Dweep(5.7 km), Padiri Reserve Forest(14.2 km), Thirunelly Temple(21 km), Wayanad Wildlife Sanctuary(26 km) and Nagarhole National Park(32 km) which are situated near to the hotel.The hotel offers facilities such as laundry, room service, guide service, transfers and parking space. Guests can make use of recreational facilities such as gymnasium, spa, massage and Ayurveda centre.Restaurant at the hotel dishes out scrumptious and delicious north and south Indian cuisines. I felt this hotel is economical with a range of Rs 1500 including Breakfast
- Abhirami Farm Resorts, Located at Thonichal, Mananthavady, and Abhirami Farm Resorts adjoins Thonichal Shiva Temple (Approx. 1km) it ensures a stay wrapped with complete peace and simple pleasures of life. The enchanting environment with mist-clad peaks, greenery and exotic flora and fauna all around, makes discerning travelers fall for this resort at the very first sight. The warmth of the cozy rooms, the taste of the flavorful food coupled with the contemporary business facilities strikes a great balance.These huts ideal for honeymoon lovers are located a bit isolated towards Old Mananthavady, again which is what love birds seek. But, don’t catch it into very off – season as it may also scare a bit out of you being alone. At least we felt so when we stayed and moreover food is not that good quality
- Hotel Bahmagiri, is a four star hotel at Mananthavady offers a wide range of options both to the tourists offers sightseeing, trekking, camping and jungle safari. Is just on the Main road provides you with ample facilities being on the Main road. Rooms are really comfortable and worth the money. Even if you don’t stay do have a meal or two in its restaurant. Range is Rs 2200- Rs4000. It has an in house bar and it causes disturbances, in the late night by local drunkards, at least during our stay. It is safe bet if you are in dilemma for cheap hotel, I believe.
- Century Grand Hotel Situated in Mananthavady, 13 km from Thirunelly Temple, features air-conditioned rooms and free private parking. Guests can enjoy the on-site restaurant. Every room includes flat-screen TV and equipped with a private bathroom fitted with a shower. Built is modern and luxurious. This is and not at all a budget hotel. We stayed here in very off season and still we got a room for 1500 I believe. But I must say the money was worth it as the Hotel has all sorts of deserving offerings one would like.
- Hotel Haksons. Is one of the best budget hotels with standard of quality and service. It is located amidst the of Mananthavady town. Everything is so nearby and I would really recommend it for families with children. Kids tend to demand this and that every now and then which makes a good choice as everything you get in Mananthavady is so nearby. But avoid if you have more budget. Range is 650-2000 and you can always stay here if you are short on budget.
Budget Hotels in Mananthavady
Budget Hotels If you are short on budget either choose you can very well walk to the streets of Mananthavady where you will get very good deals for some cheap hotels in Mananthavady.
- Indian Coffee house located near the town is very famous for its cuisines. A meal here is a must for us whenever we go to Mananthavady.
- Century, located at far from Main road, has a great variety of Chinese dishes topped with great taste.
- Wynn Berry, located just at the start of Main road shops is also quite good in food quality. In fact one of the trip we just had our meal on this restaurant only.
- Local hotels:
I would always love the yummy taste of Kerala poratta with Chicken or Beef . A variety of taste it can be offer. Kerala poratta is different from North Indian counter parts like Nan, Roti or chapattis. It has its own glorious taste. And it will provide maximum taste of your curry chosen. Every curry will go with it. So try your best and favorite curry with Kerala poratta. One must try in a life time. My ultimate choice is Poratta with Beef fry. Beef curry of Beef fry is always available in all hotels in Mananthavady. No need to worry it's safe and delicious, and very tasty is the best place for Kerala Porattas in Mananthavady. If you love Non veg then do not forget to check this awesome place.
Believe me, you can get Arabic foods like Chicken Shawarma and Grilled chicken (original one) in Mananthavady town near KT complex. It s a good food joint although I have never been there due to long queues.
- I have said there are forest roads in and around Mananthavady. Some roads are banned for night traffic. If you travelling by car - Avoid that roads and plan accordingly.
- Spotting of wild life including tigers, and leopards elephants, Indian Guar(Kaattu pothu) Deer are possible in state highways from Bavali to Mananthavady ,Tholpetty(Kutta) to Mananthavady and Thirunelly to Mananthavady Roads.
- Do not stop or get out from the car for photography. It is an offence and forest department can charge on you.
- I like to travel from Mysore to Mananthavady through Bavali route. Most picturesque, high rate of spotting wild animals, shortest route and excellent road. Because it traverse through core area of Nagarhole WLS, parallel to River Kabani, so wild animals tend to stay near waterholes. Unfortunately ,this road will close from 6 pm to 6 am at Bavali and from other end .Still it’s a good bet, No need of a wild life safari! My t rick is drive up to Anderasande or Bavali reach around 5.30 pm and spend for a tea break there. Just before closing the gate I pass through the gate. And drive very slowly to spot a large number of animals, especially tigers and leopards which start preying by this time.
- Interestingly Mananthavady- Kutta-Gonikoppal- Hunsur road is opened for 24 hrs, even it crosses Wayanad WLS in Tholpetty. But Mananthavady- Kutta-Nagerhole-Husur road will be closed at 6 pm to 6 am
- Rolls your glasses up in your car. If you see Wild animals on the road, please do not get out from the car or make any sounds. Keep a distance of at least 50 meters. Simply watch them within one or two minutes they will walk away calmly.
- All animals are fearing of you. They will not attack, unless provoked and by you are standing in n close range with them. Some elephants will stay at side of the road, may be without any other options. Closely watch them especially if it is a tusker or a female elephant with calf. Do not approach. These are the only instances they will charge.
- Even waiting up to 5 minutes, if the elephant not moved from the first position , you may pass him without fear. Do not honk horn or throw something towards elephant, to provoke and make chasing your car. It will be harmful to an innocent car behind you.
- In cases of a possible charge. Be calm, do not switch of the car. Do not reverse. Put it in first gear . Honk horn and put headlights and shout at most at the same time. Revv the engine with little quirk movements. Normally all elephants will run away. If it is a rogue elephant or in his must, the story will be different. Don’t worry the history of attacks by these route is nearly zero.
- Still he is charging, best way is to distract him by throwing something smelly or cloths(eg.SHIRT) to him. when he will focus to tear it you can turn back
- Do not exert yourself too much in bike riding through forests. But still I love to ride .