Man Eater of Jowalagiri- a sketch

 
 
In this story, Kenneth Anderson describes, how  villagers are affected by fierce thought of a man eating Tiger in South India. Just have a extract of the story.
 
 
 

 


The first page of the story












 
 


 


 

 
 

The Classic Drawing Of Hosdurg Fort



We found an old drawing in Digital library ,Oxford and it is related to a small and important area of Malabar. Just followed and try to locate the present location of the place depicted in the drawing.

Hosdurg Fort is a fort in Kanhangad which is part of
Kasargod district in Kerala state. Hosdurg Fort with its round bastion looks imposing from a distance. Somashekara Nayaka from the Keladi Nayaka dynasty of Ikkeri built this fort. The place is made well known by the Nithyanandasram with 45 caves.

The Classic Drawing

(Probably before 1850)



Title"Hosadurga. Kasargod. Rest house. Houses of the policemens' servants. Official building. School. Old fort, part of the rest house."
An undated (Probably before 1850) drawing of Hosdurg,Kerala, describing the positions of buildings and...
its relations.
Alternate title:
"[original caption]german- Hosadurga. Kasargod. Reisehaus. Wohnhäuser der Polizeidiener Amtsgebäude. Schulhaus. Altes Fort. Zum Reisehaus gehörig."
Creator: NA
Keywords:
fortification, school, village view, police station, village, government building, rest house, mountain, fort

The Location By Google : Click for larger view

please note the government offices ,school, and old fort at the same place as in the old drawing.

 
















തുളുനാടിന്റെ ഇനിയും അറിയപ്പെടാത്ത ചരിത്ര വാതായനങ്ങളിലേക്ക്‌ വെളിച്ചം വീശുന്ന ചരിത്രസത്യങ്ങള്‍ തരാന്‍ കഴിയുന്ന ഹൊസ്‌ദുര്‍ഗ്ഗ കോട്ട കാലവര്‍ഷത്തില്‍ വീണ്ടും തകര്‍ന്നു. പുരാവസ്‌തു വകുപ്പ്‌ ഏറ്റെടുത്തു സംരക്ഷിക്കുന്ന സംസ്ഥാനത്തെ കോട്ടകളില്‍ ഏറെ പ്രാധാന്യമുള്ളതാണ്‌ ഈ കോട്ട. ചൊവ്വാഴ്‌ച പുലര്‍ച്ചെയുണ്ടായ പേമാരിയിലാണ്‌ ഈയിടെ അറ്റകുറ്റ പണികള്‍ തീര്‍ത്ത്‌ മനോഹരമാക്കിയ കോട്ട തകര്‍ന്നുവീണത്‌. വിനായക ടാക്കീസിന്‌ മുന്നിലുടെ ഹൊസ്‌ദുര്‍ഗ്ഗ്‌ കോടതി സമുച്ചയത്തിലേക്ക്‌ പോവുന്ന പൂങ്കാല്‍കോട്ട റോഡിന്റെ ഭാഗമാണ്‌ തകര്‍ന്നത്‌. ഇതു കാരണം കോടതിയിലെക്കുള്ള ഗതാഗതം ഭാഗികമായി തകരാറിലായിട്ടുണ്ട്‌. സംസ്ഥാന സര്‍ക്കാര്‍ കോട്ടകളുടെ സംരക്ഷണത്തിന്‌ അനുവദിച്ച 4 കോടി രൂപയില്‍ നിന്ന്‌ 35 ലക്ഷം രൂപയാണ്‌ ഹൊസ്‌ദുര്‍ഗ്ഗ്‌ കോട്ട പുതുക്കി പണിയുന്നതിന്‌ ചിലവഴിക്കുന്നത്‌. പുരാവസ്‌തു വകുപ്പ്‌ നേരിട്ടാണ്‌ നവീകരണ പ്രവര്‍ത്തികള്‍ നടത്തുന്നത്‌. ഈ പ്രവര്‍ത്തനങ്ങള്‍ കനത്ത മഴ കാരണം പാതിവഴിയില്‍ നിര്‍ത്തിയിരുക്കുകയാണ്‌. കോട്ട കാത്തു സൂക്ഷിക്കണമമെന്ന്‌ ചരിത്ര ഗവേഷകരും വിദ്യാര്‍ത്ഥികളും ആവശ്യപ്പെടാന്‍ തുടങ്ങിയിട്ട കാലമേറെയായെങ്കിലും അപ്പോഴെക്ക ഒന്നും പറയാതെ ഒഴിഞ്ഞു മാറുകയാണ്‌ പുരാവസ്‌തു വകുപ്പ്‌ ചെയ്‌ത്‌.




Hosdurg Fort is a fort in Kanhangad which is part of Kasargod district in Kerala state. Hosdurg Fort with its round bastion looks imposing from a distance. Somashekara Nayaka from the Keladi Nayaka dynasty of Ikkeri built this fort. The place is made well known by the Nithyanandasram with 45 caves.









One of the Government Office in the  location.











തകര്‍ന്നടിഞ്ഞുകൊണ്ടിരിക്കുന്ന ഹോസ്ദുര്‍ഗ് കോട്ട നവീകരിച്ച് പൂര്‍വ്വസ്ഥിയിലാക്കുന്നതിനുള്ള പ്രവൃത്തികള്‍ ആരംഭിച്ചു. ദേശീയ പുരാവസ്തു സംരക്ഷണ വകുപ്പിന്റെ കീഴിലാണ് കോട്ടയുടെ പുനര്‍ നിര്‍മ്മാണ ജോലികള്‍ ആരംഭിച്ചത്. പതിനെട്ടാം നൂറ്റാണ്ടില്‍ ഇക്കേരി രാജാക്കന്‍മാര്‍ പണിതതാണ് ഹോസ്ദുര്‍ഗ് കോട്ട. ആറേക്കറോളം സ്ഥലവിസ്തൃതിയില്‍ പണിതുയര്‍ത്തിയ കോട്ടയുടെ ഭാഗങ്ങളും ചുറ്റുമതിലും കാലപ്പഴക്കം കൊണ്ടും വിവിധതരം കയ്യേറ്റങ്ങള്‍ കൊണ്ടും ഓരോ ഭാഗങ്ങളും തകരുകയായിരുന്നു. കാഞ്ഞങ്ങാട് ബ്ലോക്ക് ഓഫീസ് കോംപ്ലക്‌സ്, കോടതി സമുച്ചയങ്ങള്‍, പൊതുമരാമത്ത് വകുപ്പ് ഓഫീസുകള്‍, ചേയര്‍ ഹൗസ് കാംപാകൊ, വൈദ്യുതി ബോര്‍ഡ്, വിദ്യാഭ്യാസ ഓഫീസ്, മൃഗാശുപത്രി, പൊലീസ് ക്വാര്‍ട്ടേഴ്‌സുകള്‍ തുടങ്ങിയവയും ഹൊസ്ദുര്‍ഗ് ഗവ.ഹൈസ്‌കൂളിന്റെ ഗ്രൗണ്ട്, ലിറ്റില്‍ ഫഌവര്‍ ഗേള്‍സ് ഹൈസ്‌കൂള്‍ എന്നിവയ്ക്ക് പുറമെ ഏതാനും സ്വകാര്യാശുപത്രികളും വീടുകളും ക്വാര്‍ട്ടേഴ്‌സുകളും എല്ലാം കോട്ടയ്ക്ക് അകത്താണ്. കോട്ട പണിയുമ്പോള്‍ ഇവിടെയുണ്ടായിരുന്നത് പൂങ്കാവ് ശിവക്ഷേത്രം മാത്രമാണ്. ഇത് നേരത്തെ ദേവി ക്ഷേത്രമായിരുന്നുവത്രെ. ശേഷിക്കുന്ന രണ്ടര ഏക്കര്‍ സ്ഥലം മാത്രമാണ് ഇപ്പോള്‍ കോട്ടയ്ക്ക് സ്വന്തമായുള്ളത്. അതിന്റെ നടുവില്‍ തലയെത്തിനില്‍ക്കുന്നതാകട്ടെ ഒരു പൊതുശ്മശാനവും. ഇതടക്കമാണിപ്പോള്‍ പുരാവസ്തുവകുപ്പിന് കൈമാറിയിട്ടുള്ളത്. തകര്‍ന്ന കോട്ടഭാഗങ്ങള്‍ പൂര്‍വ്വസ്ഥിയിലാക്കാന്‍ ലക്ഷകണക്കിന് ചെങ്കല്ലുകള്‍ ആവശ്യമാണ്. ഇതിന് കോടികള്‍ ചിലവ് പ്രതീക്ഷിക്കുന്നു. -

The Calicut Beach 3: Sea Bridge (pier) and light houses

The Calicut Beach 3: Sea Bridge (pier) and light houses 




Calicut Beach ,Aerial view of Northern Side


Calicut Beach   when empty

An undated drawing of light house is available  is available in British Library, and it seems before 1850 (?),it clearly depicts the situation of the port.


Title: "Calicut, lighthouse."
Creator: unknown
Date: undated
In this pic. old tower is visible.



a comparative Picture of light house probably taken from the North pier. There is another tower raised in steel bars, may be for telegraphic and wireless purposes.


Calicut Beach with light house.  1911



 
 

Calicut Beach with light house.(  1907)   photo of  2011


 Calicut:   Rare pictures of Pier (Sea bridge)

Calicut: A rare picture of  (Sea bridge)  and port  of Calicut before 1890. Merchant ships and vessels, small wooden boats, and a full fledge bustling port activities can be seen in the picture. note the shape and construction of the vessels, well in comparison to the bounties if Europeans. Wooden Cranes to lift the  goods from small boats, and track for trolleys are notable. check the goods  which were imported, mostly  steel bars, sheets and blocks with some round objects. Port office's board is also seen. Probably Photo taken in a normal morning(judged by shadows)and  from the top of  a building in customs road.


Calicut A rare picture of old pier (Sea bridge)
Title: "Calicut; pier."
Creator: unknown
Date: 01.01.1881-31.12.1914







1912 Near the south pier is a place called 'Horse's Jumping Point' where horses brought from Gujarat and Arabia were made to jump into the water, swim and would gallop along the shore and be displayed for sale.






Near the northern pier .Calicut Beach . 2011
 

The harbour, Calicut.The original light house of Calicut CAN BE SEEN
Title: "The harbour, Calicut."
Creator: unknown
Date: NA (Probably before 1914)
"[original caption] Hafen Calicut."(german) translated to  The harbour, Calicut, But we have  doubt whether it is Calicut proper or not. It is not mentioned south or north pier .Please Note the  shape and position of light house in this picture. in other pictures  the position of light house is on the right side of the pier. The buildings in the back ground also seems indifferent. Can somebody explain? We thought possibility of flipping of image by left to right when printing or copying from original.
But  as per history, there was another light house and here it is .
The original light house of Calicut, 1847
 From a website of Lighthouses of India:
Kozhikode (Calicut) 1907 (station established 1847). focal plane 17 m (56 ft); two white flashes every 6 s. 15 m (49 ft) round cylindrical masonry tower with lantern and gallery, painted white.  Calicut, now called Kozhikode, is the place where Vasco da Gama landed in India in 1498, inaugurating India's contact with western Europe. Interestingly, the original lighthouse was taller at 33 m (108 ft). Located on Beach Road near the foot of Customs Road in Kozhikode. Site is open, but tower closed.            
 
 
Satellite imagery of the site. 2013 by Google

 
Satellite imagery of the site. 2011, by Yahoo. see the part of the sea bridge  and  the remains




Join and like Face book link:

Other Blog links on Calicut



Bathing of Kerala Ladies,Girls and children in Malabar near an unidentified temple with stairway to a river.1937

Riverside Bathing of Kerala Ladies,Girls and children in Malabar near an unidentified temple with stairway to  a river.


 ( ? In Chombala : caption may be wrong)

Title: "Hindus bathing."
Creator: Dengler, Gotthilf (Mr)
Date: between  03.11.1930-11.03.1937
Keywords:
river scene, bathing, house, river bank, stairway, temple

 

Jagannada Temple, Tellichery

The statue of Sree Narayana Guru in Thalassery


The statue made in Italy and is a great model of metallic sculpture. It situates besides the railway line in a Temple known as Jagannada Temple, Tellichery)


Title: "Tyer temple in Tellicherry."
Creator: Dachwitz (Mr)
Date: 01.09.1926-31.12.1929
 

 

(Depicts a statue of Sree Narayana Guru in Thalassery, described as Thiyaa temple.
The first full body statue of Sree Narayana guru, unveiled by Swami Bodhananda in 1927 even when he was alive.

Guru had seen this statue at Colombo Port when it was bringing to Thalassery from Italy. It is made in Panchaloha -(Mix of five metals) by Thavarali, a famous sculptor.

Sree Gnanodayayogam the Prominent social organisation of North Malabar and the governing body of Sree Jagannath Temple, Thalassery consecrated by his holiness Sree Narayanam Guru, is in the light of centennial celebrations.
Sri. Varadur Kaniyil Kunhi Kannan visited Guru Dev in December 1904 and submitted the idea that Thiyya Community should have a Temple at Thalassery. Sri. Jagannath Temple had been consecrated by his Holiness in 1908 itself is a solid proof to discredit their version.
Guru Dev permitted Varadur to invite the celebration poet Kumaran Asan, as his representative and to convene meetings to ascertain the reaction of the people about the feasibility of a Temple for the community. Asan who was staying with Dr. Palpu in Bangalore accepted the invitation and consequent on his arrival the first meeting was convened at ‘Parambath House’ of Sri. Cheruvari Govindan Shirastadar on 9th July 1905.


 

The lighthouse in Cochin



The Signal Tower- 1603

One of the landmarks of medieval Fort Kochi, under Portuguese's Fort Kochi, it remained in glory, untill late days of 1890s
The lighthouse in Cotschi (Kochi )
Year :1850-97
Photographer :Unknown
The place is now Overgrown with a banyan tree. Near to south side of present Nehru Children Park,Fort Kochi.

The Signal tower stood in center of current Nehru Park, which was the Main square of Fort Kochi in medieval days.

It was a busy signal tower as it communicated with the approaching ships and sent out signals locally too. A basket, a cage, flags, torchlight were all used as signals. A signal was put up when a ship laden with goods was coming. With it the locals knew what was required to board the ship. If coir was to be shipped out they got busy assembling the produce.

Likewise for pepper and other spices. It signalled to fishermen about inclement weather or about sickness on board, a passing or approaching ship. This signal tower was brought down and the remains were razed completely much later when the foundation of the park was laid. The three buildings seen in the painting were the port office, the gear shed and the coal shed. In fact, the Chinese fishing net next to the coal shed is called `Karipura'. Opposite the tower was the Old Harbour Hotel, which housed sailors, and officers who alighted. As the signal station had a tower the road was named Tower Road and remains so till today."

Interesting is the story of the Santa Cruz Basilica which stood behind the present day Laurel Club, one of the three structures seen at the far end of the painting. When the Dutch took over they converted the Basilica into a godown as they were Calvinists. Later, when the British arrived they had to shoot down the godown because the Dutch offered resistance.

The relics, in the form of pillars of the basilica, are found at three places in Fort Kochi. The signal station was the focus of all action, during war and peace. It signalled the coming and the going of traders, merchants and colonisers.

The signal station is no more. At the children's park where it once stood, kids play on swings and slides, their laughter filling the air. Fairy lights and fountains come alive in the evenings; hawkers sell, travellers walk around. There is a strange serenity around this rain tree-lined park.

Quite a contrast, for it was here mutinies rose and fell, fearful exchange of fire shots resounded; the troops marched; merchandise was bartered. It was here that an unseen filtering of culture took place many, many years ago. Now all that exists as memory of this landmark is this forgotten painting on the wall of the Corporation office.

__________________