KANNUR or Cannannore? KANATHUR -KANNAN’S UR-

KANATHUR -KANNAN’S UR- KANNUR

Kanathur Kavu Now known as


Kannur district derived its name from the location of its headquarters at Kannur town. The old name ‘Cannanore’ is the anglicised form of the Malayalam word Kannur. According to one opinion, ‘Kannur’ is a derivation from Kanathur, an ancient village, the name of which survives even today in one of the wards of Kannur Municipality.


Kadalayi Temple.

Another version is that Kannur might have assumed its name from one of the , deities of the Hindu pantheon, a compound of two words, Kannan (Lord Krishna) and Ur (place) making it the place of Lord Krishna. In this context, it is worth mentioning that the deity of the Katalayi Sreekrishna temple was originally installed in a shrine at Katalayi Kotta in the south eastern part of the present Kannur town.




The old photo has some distinctive features:
1. There are 3 almost similar type temples in a row with same height (usally little higher than normal) .
2.The three buildings are constructed with different meteials for roof,and probably in different time of age. There may be one main God and associated with two sub-Gods,but difficult to say which one is main.
3. There is step like gallery at right side and behind of last temple(Probably a place to watch temple procession or Theyyams) assocated with trees behind-(like a kavu).
4.Assuming that these pictures in the series were taken by Western photogrphers in that time; they took important structures inside Kannur town especially,near Fort,Payyambalam,Camp bazar and Burnassessy etc.

Kanathur Kavu Now known as

Look at the frontage and roof pattern of temple. Which is this place? What may the deity in this Temples?







The roof patern cannot visible anywhere than Kerala,especially North kerala and south Canara. In 1886 and earlier these are important constructions and landmark of an area,where most of the houses are merely huts.




Look at the frontage and roof pattern of temple. Which is this place? What may the deity in this Temples?So can we assume these photos are from same location? The first one has a title, Clearly says it is from Kananthur Temple. I confused again as there is another kanathur 'Temple 'at Pallikunnu,Kannur. And looks same too.


Mr Sugunan has given an important feedback earlier:
"Empezado por sugunan Ver Mensaje
The  pic of the theyyam is from Kanathur Kavu, an ancient kavu just near to Kannur town on the way to Govt Guest House....(presently this temple is known as Kanakathur Sree Kurumba Kavu....Still ever year the same theyam is conducted in the same style from March 10-15th....
Visit the link http://www.kanakathursreekurumbakkavu.org for more details"


Somebody related to these temples and Theyyams can identify the deities and peculiarities of each one. It will make identification more accurate.


All these factors are connecting to Kanakathur Temple which appears reconstructed recently. If I am wrong, please correct me.




Quote from Sugunan: This definitely look like Kanathur kavu, and the theyyam i guess is Vishnumurthy...
Uploading a current pic of same Kavu(courtesy : Kanakathur kavu website)

Note : this is not among the 3 kavus which was shown in the previous post. This is situated in the same premises but a little away from those ones.

















The Trivandrum Golf Club- Commonwealth's second oldest Golf club, which is now embroiled in political controversies.

History of Feroke in photos




History of  Feroke in photos


Originally, Tipu Sultan named the place Farookhabad. This name changed into Feroke by the British.It is also assumed that Tipu Sulthan used Feroke as his capital in Malabar. Remains of Fort built by Tipu Sulthan is still in Feroke with a long tunnel to river.Authorities are trying to preserve the Fort remains as historical importance. The old bridge at Feroke was built by the British in 1883.
.


This is old road bridge. the bridge was completed in 1888. Even now it is serviceable. It is said that British engineers has adopted a special method of filling its pillars with molten lead to add strength and flexibility.

 Tile Industry


Feroke is the cradle of the tile industry in Kerala, especially Tile Industry. The rapid rivers from the Western Ghats after passing through forests carry the clay which is the raw-material for tiles, pottery and ceramic wares. There are more than a dozen tile factories in Feroke alone. Feroke is also well known for wood and Timber industries.
Cheruvannur and Feroke are predominant industrial areas of Kozhikode. A number of tile factories, match factories, Timber industries, Automobile dealerships, Footwear industries  steel factories, etc. are located here, providing employment to thousands of workers. The Steel Complex is also located here. It is assumed that Feorke-cheruvannur is the second biggest industrial area of Kerala

The capital of the province of Malabar

In 1788 Tippu Sultan transferred the capital of the province of Malabar from Kozhikkode to the South bank of Beypore River and built a Fort at the modern village of Feroke. But Tippu's grand project of founding a new capital was ended in failure because he was compelled to retire to Coimbatore due to the approach of monsoon. Considering the historical importance, a part of the laterite fort remaining at Paramukku, Kottasthala is declared as protected monument by the department of Archaeology in 1991 under the protected monuments sites and remains act 1968.
 photo of old Ferke Bridge in 1900
 The  road bridge  at  same sitenow. taken from a running train on a new Rly  bridge at the exact site of the first picture.
Ferok Railway Station in 1901



Ferok Railway Station 2013

 Tile factory


Title: "Mission tile works in Ferok."
Creator: unknown
Date: 01.01.1906-25.10.1907

tile factory now
 in 1901

Tippu's fort

 So called Tippu's fort In  modern times as well as in 1901-Down

This  a valuable photo  shows that British have an interest on this site  and often considered a place to explore.


Title: "Ferok."
Creator: unknown
Date: 01.01.1901-31.10.1914
LOcal Authorities  not cosidered much in this spot. In 2007, Deputy Collector and District Tourism Promotion Council (DTPC) secretary T. Bhaskaran has initiated steps to prepare a project report to protect what is popularly considered `Tipu Sultan's Fort' at Feroke.

They  have enquired with the Archaeology Department which said that the fort has been declared a protected monument. But now the fort is under the possession of a private individual. If protected, it will be of immense historical significance.

M.G.S. Narayanan, historian and the former chairman of the Indian Council of Historical Research (ICHR), said that the site was meant for a fort by Tipu, but he could not make it a reality.

Only a well and a small building for storing magazine were constructed at the site. Tipu intended to make `Farookhabad' (town of victory), as he called Feroke, his capital when he conquered Malabar in 1788.

However, defeated by the British, Tipu handed over the entire Malabar to them. The site came under the possession of Basel Mission, which fell into the hands of Comtrust (Commonwealth Trust).

The site, referred to as `Kottakunnu' fell into the hands of a few private individuals in course of time.

Mr. Bhaskaran said that effort to convert `Kottapadam,' a 25-acre plot near the fort which contains water-holding structures formed as a result of digging for clay, into a tourist spot would be sought.

Another proposal for developing an island near Beypore was also under consideration of the DTPC, he said.

BUt nothing happened yet. We are waiting.

Manorama : on Feroke Kotta



Tile factory,Feroke  a collection of old photos




“Feroke tile-works under construction.   Title: "Feroke tile-works under construction."
Creator: unknown
Date: before 1906,”





Title: "Tile-works Ferok, seen from the front."
Creator: unknown
Date: 01.01.1906-25.10.1907





Title: "Tile works in Ferok."
Creator: Dachwitz (Mr)
Date: 01.09.1926-31.12.1936

Title: "Tile works in Ferok."
Creator: Dachwitz (Mr)
Date: 01.09.1926-31.12.1936

Title: "The bank of the river opposite to Feroke."
Creator: unknown
Date:  (undated, but before 1930).




TITLEAND DATE NOT AVAILABLE,PROBABLY FEREOKE, AND CHALIYAR CALICUT


 
title: "River landscape in Ferok near Kalikut."
Creator: Kühner-Frohnmeyer, Heinrich (Mr)
Date: 01.01.1896-31.12.1908





Title: "Bathing, Ferok."
Creator: unknown
Date: NA- BUT BEFORE 1907








Chaliyar river photo Chaliyarriver-1.jpg
Title: "Landing the boiler for Ferok in Beypore."
Creator: unknown
Date: .Date: NA- BUT BEFORE 1906




Title: "Idyll near Ferok."
Creator: unknown
Date: 01.01.1901-31.12.1920




Title: "The house in Ferok, 1906."
Creator: unknown
Date: NA BUT BEFORE  August 1906

Title: "Sunday school in Ferok."
Creator: unknown
Date: NA
BUT BEFORE 1906


 



Chaliyar river photo Chaliyarriver.jpg

The Calicut Beach: Sea Bridge and light house

The Calicut Beach 2: Sea Bridge and light house 



Calicut Beach ,Aerial view of Northern Side
Calicut Beach   when empty

An undated drawing of light house is available  is available in British Library, and it seems before 1850 (?),it clearly depicts the situation of the port.

Title: "Calicut, lighthouse."
Creator: unknown
Date: undated



a comparative Picture of light house probably taken from the North pier. There is another tower raised in steel bars, may be for telegraphic and wireless purposes.

Calicut Beach with light house.  1911



 
Calicut Beach with light house.  2011


 Calicut:   Rare pictures of Pier (Sea bridge)

Calicut: A rare picture of  (Sea bridge)  and port  of Calicut before 1890. Merchant ships and vessels, small wooden boats, and a full fledge bustling port activities can be seen in the picture. note the shape and construction of the vessels, well in comparison to the bounties if Europeans. Wooden Cranes to lift the  goods from small boats, and track for trolleys are notable. check the goods  which were imported, mostly  steel bars, sheets and blocks with some round objects. Port office's board is also seen. Probably Photo taken in a normal morning(judged by shadows)and  from the top of  a building in customs road.

Calicut A rare picture of old pier (Sea bridge)
Title: "Calicut; pier."
Creator: unknown
Date: 01.01.1881-31.12.1914



1912 Near the south pier is a place called 'Horse's Jumping Point' where horses brought from Gujarat and Arabia were made to jump into the water, swim and would gallop along the shore and be displayed for sale.
 

Near the northern pier .Calicut Beach . 2011



Satellite imagery of the site. 2013 by Google


Satellite imagery of the site. 2011, by Yahoo. see the part of the sea bridge  and  the remains




Join and like Face book link:
Kerala Old Photos And Heritage
Join Kannur - Cannannur Walk

Other Blog links on Calicut

A walk back to Calicut 11 Mavoor
 The Kozhikode (Calicut) Beach with photos
Old Mosques in Calicut, Mishkal Masjid, Kuttichira
Calicut City Map 16th Century
 Calicut -Rare photos
തളി അമ്പലത്തിന്റെ ലിങ്ക് ഇവിടെ
 ചിത്രങ്ങൾ കഥ പറയുമ്പോൾChevayur Leprosy Hospital
 Kozhikode Railway Station will celebrate its 125 birthday
 THALI TEMPLE,A PHOTO HISTORY
 Mananchira Square
 Maps of Malabar Cost


 പൂർവികന്മാരുടെ അവസ്ഥ ഇങ്ങിനെയൊക്കെ ... - kalli valli
 അന്ധവിശ്വാസപരമായ സ്വാധീനം-മലബാര്‍ മാന്വല്‍-വില്യം ലോഗന്‍

Kerala old Photos part 2. 1850 മുതല്‍ 1937 മലബാറിലെ ജീവിതവും കാലവും സ്ഥലവും എങ്ങനെയായിരുന്നുവെന്ന് കാട്ടിത്തരുന്ന ചിത്രങ്ങള്‍ .