Kannur Old and Now Part 1
|A Map of Malabar collectorate. 1893|
- The dotted red line is the old market place,
- Orange lines are Mud Roads
- The area marked in Black is a greeny means trees, marshland and shrubs. Note the coconut trees and palms.
- No. 10 areas in rectangles around parade ground are the native barracks .
- The Red rectangles are buildings, Mostly Of government.
- Present Payyambalam Park and Thavakkara were water clogged marshlands.
- Note the rivers/nallahs as in dark lines
|It is a larger view of entire area. The references are not clear in original map. But I tried to figure out almost all. The number represents an area or building.|
|A typical street view.of Kannur.|
The river or water body was clear and used for household works, means there was a dense population in nearby area.
The position of river mouth may be changed its position due to sedimentation of sand and mud and caused to form a landmass in front of old river mouth. I assume this place of photography is now near citybustand(OLD). Ayikkara road is in the picture and where this men stood in the riverbed is raised and now using as the new open Fish Market.
Some other old photos and paintings of Kannur
|A bullock Carriage Cannanore."|