Around Anchetty,Man and Machine trip- part 5 (Man eater of Jowlagiri -A walk back)

Next morning, I  need an early start. I expressed my sincere thanks to the group for the hot tea with dense milk. Afterwards, I couldn't wait for breakfast as I liked to ride in the morning mist through the villages.  Within half an hour, I was in riding gear and bid farewell to my hosts.   Its 6 am, in the village. All men and women slowly coming up for their daily activities and another day of tiresome chores to make their livelihood.  
A village view from Devarabeta to Thally road. In the slight mist, The pair of hillock can be seen in the early hours of the day.
Amazing Morning view of the fields
I could see plants of Green vegetables and tomatoes covered with mist.  On the way, I stopped near a Mango garden and saw ripe mangoes on trees.  (Trespassing). I plucked two of them and kept in a bag. Later I took these as my breakfast.

The Mango garden -Thally road.
Liked this. Going nowhere
I returned to Jawalagiri. And from a tea shop had some more tea. From here and Anchetty I noted that you can't have tea and breakfast from the same shops. Having hot tea I remembered Muniappa the poacher cum shikari lived here in Jawalagiri, but I don't bother to ask about him to the shopkeeper. Being a lad in his twenties, I thought my questions to him will be wasted. 

Jawalagiri. Lengthier shadows In a morning


After Jawalagiri, I was careful to select the route, because I need to go through Sulagunta to Anchetty. This route is not famous which run through Jawalagiri forest. 
Junction  to a right turn Salukunta on Denkanikotta road from  Jawalagiri. 
Anchetty Road through Salukunta, from Jawalagiri

I proceeded to Dhenkanikotta road less than 1 km, but within outskirts of the village, I took a right turn. Soon I passed through the forest and I was looking for any big mammals in this early hours.  But I couldn't spot anything. 

Then I reached the famous Jalla Mariamman temple and stopped to take some snaps.

I already described the temple in another post. You can read it in the middle of the forest I exclaimed how this temple existing and how rituals are performing here.  Then I got one person came with a bike, a devotee to have some worship and he told about the temple in detail.


Entering forest
Do you know why milestone in forest painted not in white?. KA describes due to elephants have a dislike towards white and try to uproot them. I am not sure about this theory but seen this.
Board reads Jalla Mariamman Kovil
Temple premises
Main Temple
I wanted to search some giant Tamarind tree nearby but couldn't spot a big old one nearby the temple. Obviously lot of tamarind trees I identified later on the route to Sulagunta.




Backside of forest office and temple. Preparing area.


This  Nandi temple situated about 100 meters from the Main temple. 
Hanuman temple.  situated between the main temple and Nandi temple.
Relative positions of 3 Temples in Google map. Red=Jalla Mariammam,Blue-=Hanuman and Green= Nandi Temples

The road is narrow but decent.  Twisted through the forest some more kilometres and then suddenly I came out of the forest.
Tried to spot some footprints along the forest roads
Leaving the forest cover
Presence of farming activities as well as mining 
About 3 km from this spot, my bike run in neutral gear, with engine off
I was so foolish to fill the tank on the previous day and suddenly my machine came to a halt. 

From this village I got fuel. 

They were anxious about my attire and ways.
This time I was giving a lift to a fellow villager up to the next village.  He told me petrol is available in next village at 3 km distance.  Surprisingly these 3 kilometres are downhill and with the pillion rider in neutral gear to reach there. As he indicated, we stopped in front of a house and I could buy two liters of petrol at 200 rupees.   I am lucky to have it. I noted in all of my journeys, village shops are displaying fuel in jerrycans in front of their shops openly which is not even thinkable in Kerala. Agreeing that  Black and grey markets are there in Kerala too but only in a concealed manner.  Same more thing I observed liquor shops are frequent and public drinking has not interfered.
This milestone in the same route outside the forest,  now WHITE IN COLOUR.

Then I negotiated some curves and hill arrived at Sulagunta.  Still, look like a sleepy village, in the morning people are ready to go their works.
View from Sulakunta-Anchetty road


During the journey, I found all vehicles are overloaded.   Villages people always ask for a free lift even to strangers like me. Initially, I find it odd but later understood that's a common practice.  Initially, I  gave a ride to whoever asks for it. Even school children including girls asked for lifts. I continued this practice until one man told me about to take care of total strangers to offer a free ride. He told foul play can be initiated by them to somebody new to their village. Incidentally, the informer was non-other than my pillion rider!  I don't like to say a No to the people asked for some help as a mere lift. I considered it is non-courteous, especially when I riding alone while all other bikes have two or more people.  After this incident, I tied some of my raincoats to the backseat of the Unicorn. Now my rear seat seems no more empty but engaged. I can ride now without guilty.
A roadside pony.
Sulagunta can be connected to Anderson's stories. Maneater of Jawalagiri and Sulagunta panther are the most important ones.   Remembering   Muniappa and his activities, the beautiful scenery of the tendu panther, which Anderson didn't shoot at last moment and about the lantana bushes I proceeded leisurely. As like 60 years ago there were some donkey and one pony I met on the road. This roadside scene never ever can be seen in Kerala villages. 

Slowly I proceeded to Anchetty. The old cart track 60 years ago is a good road now. The last few kilometres of the road is narrow and curved like a mini ghat road. I could see Anchetty basin from the hills. I was thinking that Anchetti was mentioned by KA so many times in his stories and it was the centre of his activities in this area. It is also famous now for the centre of smuggling wildlife and poachers are still flourishing here for trade.
The road leading to Anchetty

After reaching the small town I straightly went to a local hotel and had a terrific dish called egg poratta and it is good for the next few hours. I put my phone on charge in power outlets and went on walking around the town.  I visited the forest office which is situated in the middle of town and then to forest bungalow. 

Anchetty scene
Bu stand and Main Junction of Anchetty. The area upfront with trees is Forest office. from there Take a left to Pennagram.

The Anchetti basin geography and relations

Geratti wide location with respect o major cities
Google terrain view of   The Anchetti basin
Around  Anchetty

The Anchetti basin is closed on the north-east by the Mariyalam hill (3,449'), on the west, to Biligundlu (870') via Natarapalaiyam on the south, and to Pennagaram via Geratti and the Ane-bidda-halla valley on the south-east of  Anchetti. The Anchetti valley is formed by the confluence of two streams, one of which drains the Salivaram plateau and descends by the Kundu-kota Ghat, and the other rises near Javulagiri and flows via Pani and Mariyalam. Their united waters are reinforced further south by streams from the Manchi plateau, forming the Doddahalla River, which flows for six miles through a deep ravine, and discharges into the
Kaveri. The Anchetti basin is closed on the north-east by the Mariyalam hill (3,449'), on the west, to Biligundlu (870') via Natarapalaiyam on the south, and to Pennagaram via Geratti and the Ane-bidda-halla valley on the south-east. Between the Ane-bidda-halla, and the Kaveri lie five valleys, each trending north and south, the third and largest of which opens out into the Anchetti basin, drained by the Doddahalla. The Urigam basin lies to the west of the Anchetti valleys are of minor importance.

Afterwards, I went to gundalum area to have a look at the riverbed.it was a time-consuming task. I moved to the forest passing by a large pool where animals both wild and domesticated depends on water. 

I think it's appropriate to copy one of the old posts of an article of man-eater of jawalagiri.

Waterhole in the Village

I went some length of Denkanikotta road came back to the forest bungalow. The forest bungalow and its premises kept neatly.  
Forest bungalow, Anchetty
Forest bungalow, Anchetty, looking nice old building.
Both Natrampalyam and Urigam  has 20 km from Anchetty
Town view  of  Anchetty
Time is spent is very frustrating when asked about jungle and jungle tales and I no longer wait to speed up for Geratti.

I wanted to go in a deep jungle where there is a pool the elephant coming to drink water. I located a possible site on the Google map.  On the road to Pennagram  I stopped several times to get information about that pool and possibility to get somebody as a guide to reach there. All my efforts were futile, but I got information that there is the elephant in the forest presently there are some waterholes on the very road which I am proceeding.



To make this post shorter I will describe the events in the next writing which emphasis on the Geratti village.

 I wanted to describe the Thendu leopard also which appeared in the story the Salukunta Panther. But I reserved it for another post. But in the meantime, forgive me to repost a previous post, about the Man eater in this area.


Maneater of Jowlagiri -A walk back


Please read the Story - Man-eater of Jowlagiri by Kenneth Anderson. Anderson had many adventures around Anchetty/Cauvery Sanctuary, killing Man eating leopards, killer elephants, man eating tigers etc.  I liked his stories too much and began to follow the places both virtually and physically. Virtually means by seeing the photos and Google Earth images, which gives tremendous joy along with reading. This is a story of a man-eating tigress in these villages of Anchetty Basin, epicentre for many of Kenneth's stories. 
 I tried to put some pages from the book in articles to rise your urge, but nothing will be equal to the real pleasure of reading it.

A sole bike trip
It was on my Second and Third day of a sole bike trip, I visited Jawalagiri and Anchetty, through KA's places of the main activity. The month was June, Monsoon already started and made her first magic on the earth and so greenery is everywhere. Luckily or unluckily in my entire trip, I  had never faced any strong rain as in Kerala. I reached Jawalagiri from Sangama through a shortcut and rode slowly through Jawalagiri  Reserve forest. The roads are clean and traffic less. Warning boards for wild animals from the forest department is seen along the roads.  


Road bisecting Jawalagiri  Reserve forest


A waterhole  for wild animals in Jawalagiri  Reserve forest


 Warning boards for wild animals from the forest department


Jawalagiri Forest Bungalow, Which mentioned in story Man-eater of Jawalagiri and where KA stayed.
Here I went straight to the forest office, and ranger or forester was not present in the office.  Lots of confusion over allotting FB  to me, because of forest department was vigilant on strangers due to some operations of "junior Veerappan" ( he was arrested just days before my trip,, I was unaware about this story.) and suspected Maoists. Moreover, I was alone and from another state. 





The forest guards were so courteous and helped me a lot. I got a lot of new information from them and from some villagers. Wild animals are now rare here, and some poachers are active in the entire area. sometimes they are armed with matchlocks brave to threaten the officials on duty.  Later I walked the little town of Jawalagiri and met some people.  

 Next day morning, stared to ride to Sulagunta and Anchetty. the road is newly paved nicely, all along the way.


 My intention to have a look at the famous Jallamari Amman  Kovil at Salakunta forest, but within 4 km from Jawalagiri, I reached the temple. So the actual place is far away from Soolakunta. I remembered KA wrote this path is too much difficult to pass and curved, but my road is very smooth. I assumed, maybe he had a diverted forest path, up near to the temple.



A tree near the temple.


Road from Temple to Salukunta


The location

Jawalagiri is a Village in Thally Taluk in Krishnagiri District of Tamil Nadu State, India
It is located 73 KM towards west from District head quarters Krishnagiri
7 KM from Thally
337 KM from State capital Chennai Sarandapalli ( 6 KM), Ballapalli ( 8 KM ) , Nallasandram ( 9 KM ) , Devarulimangalam ( 9 KM), Kakkadasam ( 10 KM ) are the nearby Villages to Jawalagiri
Jawalagiri is surrounded by Kelamangalam Taluk towards East , Kanakapura Taluk towards west , Hosur Taluk towards North , Shoolagiri Taluk towards East
Bangalore , Ramanagaram , Malur , Malavalli are the nearby Cities to Jawalagiri
Demographics of Jawalagiri Tamil is the Local Language here.


Jawalagiri town.





village   Jawlagiri

The tigress
The tigress first made her presence known by calling in the vicinity of a village in the Jowlagiri Forest Range, after a poacher killed her mate. After a week, a young hunter named Jack Leonard arrived at the village and concealed himself behind an anthill near to sole path to the  Forest Bungalow at 5 in the afternoon. At 6:15, Leonard spotted the animal and fired at her, wounding her shoulder. The tigress bounded off into the impenetrable jungle, where the terrain proved too harsh for Leonard to pursue her.
A board, near to the path to the  Forest Bungalow.

A few months later, at the village of Sulekunta seven miles from Jowlagiri, the tigress claimed her first human victim; a boy aged sixteen, whilst picking acid fruits.
 





The Diversion towards Sulakunta, Anchetty from Jawalagiri.



Other attacks

Kenneth Anderson was informed of the subsequent attacks by the Sub-Collector of Hosur. By this time, 15 people, including three girls, one just married, had been killed by the tigress. Anderson journeyed from Jowlagiri to Sulekunta, hoping to find fresh tracks, but was unsuccessful. Anderson received three domestic buffalo baits from the Sub-Collector; the first of which he tied near a river in Gundalam, the second he tied to a path leading to the nearby village of Anchetty four miles away, the third he tied near a watershed. Anderson explored the forest with his .405 Winchester, finding fresh tracks two days later on the sand of the Gundalam river. The buffalo was alive and untouched. The next day, a group of men from a hamlet a mile south of Anchetty, saying that a man had been killed by the tigress in his cattle pen. Upon arriving at Anchetty, Anderson followed the tigress’ trail, where he found the victim’s body dragged deep into the surrounding jungle. Positioning himself above the corpse on a high ledge, Anderson hoped to catch the tigress when she returned to finish her meal. After waiting several hours in the dark, Anderson sensed the tigress’ presence, and upon turning around, saw the tigress above him, ready to pounce. Anderson missed, blowing one of the tigress’ ears off, causing her to retreat from the site.

Click images for a bigger view.
A morning scene from Soolagunta



Village Soolagunta described as Sulekunta


A village road to Soolagunta from Jawalagiri. courtesy: The Psychelist

Anchetty basin and its Relation in Google and  KA map of Jowalagiri, the spot of tiger killed, sulekunta and Anchetty.

Anderson's preparations and long treks.

Anderson moved camp to Gundalam 23 miles away at the southern limit of the affected area, where the majority of attacks had been reported. Seven herdsmen had been taken in this area in the previous four months




A village road to Anchetty courtesy: The Psychlist 2009


Newly tarred road to Sulakunta, Anderson journeyed from Jowlagiri to Sulekunta, hoping to find fresh tracks, but in vain.


Road to Anchetty from Sulakunta. Anchetty area can be seen on the left side.

THE THREE BUFFALOES AND ITS POSITIONS
 Anderson received three domestic buffalo baits from the Sub-Collector; the first of which he tied near a river in Gundalam, the second he tied to a path leading to the nearby village of Anchetty four miles away, the third he tied near a watershed. Anderson explored the forest with his .405 Winchester, finding fresh tracks two days later on the sand of the Gundalam river. The buffalo was alive and untouched.
Position OF FIRST BUFFALO

The waterhole used by both villagers and wild animals(KA), now dried up
Position OF SECOND AND THIRD BUFFALOES


But later KA realized that this tiger is no passion for buffaloes and all his efforts were futile.

THE WAY TO GUNDALAM

A village road to Anchetty courtesy: The Psychlist

Anderson Met the Man Eater

The next day, a group of men from a hamlet a mile south of Anchetty, saying that a man had been killed by the tigress in his cattle pen. Upon arriving at Anchetty, Anderson followed the tigress’ trail, where he found the victim’s body dragged deep into the surrounding jungle. Positioning himself above the corpse on a high ledge narrow horizontal surface projecting from rock), Anderson hoped to catch the tigress when she returned to finish her meal. After waiting several hours in the dark, Anderson sensed the tigress’ presence, and upon turning around, saw the tigress above him, ready to pounce. Anderson missed, blowing one of the tigress’ ears off, causing her to retreat from the site.



Anchetty Town. photo was taken in front of Forest office.
Gundalam


Never depend on your  GPS


I went and asked for permission from Anchetty forest office to go to the areas of my interest. I wanted to cover the areas of Gundalum ,the river bed, and the rock where KA waited for the tiger, over a dead body. My application was readily rejected as all the senior officers are at Hogenakkal for an official purpose. (Later I realised they bagged some poachers in that area). So even disappointed, I decided to check up to the waterhole and Guntalum village to the south of Anchetty, near to the forest border.  My GPS and google map shows the places exactly and I dared to continue, by crossing the river. Knee deep water and big rocks on the river made some difficulty in crossing. Villagers told the pond is at a distance of one and a half kilometres, after a small village. It seemed quite long and reached the pond which mentioned by KA where he tied the second buffalo. I have a strong urge to visit the place deeper in the forest, but stayed about 10 minutes on the border, as I have no permission. The villagers on the ford had told me there are no wild elephants in this forest nowadays. I saw there are herds cattle coming from the forest by the small paths. I was searching for some boys or villagers to assist me as guides in my attempt. Not a single man around. Google map shows some tracks leading to the shrub forest, and I calculated I can reach the places by the help of GPS.  So lastly I made a very foolish decision to go forward. I started my bike and followed the tracks made by cattle. Within 10 minutes I realised that it is not easy to cross the jungle. After the monsoon rains, shrubs have new branches and grown tremendously. It obstructs the tracks and  I found a dozen of tracks looks similar with the same width.  I travelled in a direction to the river by taking a right turn. After about one km inside, reached a point where I can't ride my bike further. I parked bike nearby a small hillock and made the second mistake by walking alone. I have done this because my My Galaxy s5  shows the almost correct position and I could hear some sound of water flowing nearby. I thought the river may be within 50-meter distance.

I walked with caution and tried to make some indicators when there is a junction of tracks. But within minutes I realised again it is not practical as there are dozens of tracks crisscrossing the forest. Now, at this critical point, my phone got some kind of hanging, and GPS shows the same position. Sun is blazing and with my backpack, I soaked in perspiration. I went forward with some tracks, but felt some uneasiness and slowly I realised that I  cannot go further without GPS. When I  abandoned the idea to visit the rock, I looked around.  It seems everywhere looked the same. I lost my way and directions. I Suddenly retreated my steps back to the bike. My own footprint helped me to find the way up to about 25 meters only, then I lost it too. I am in a confused state, in the middle of the jungle, without knowing anybody else, and with a dead GPS!. I walked about half an hour in and around this area, thinking every time to the Parked bike's direction in mind, in each direction. Every path looked the same to me. I felt too much fear, and angry to myself as I lost the position of the bike. After resting sometimes in a shadow of a tree  I walked in one direction about 20 minutes. All my confidence has gone at a particular point and I stopped walking. What if I am going to the wrong and opposite direction? The thought startled me and in that terrible condition, too desperate, I took 2-minute rest to calm down under a tree.  Suddenly on my right, a flash of metal glittered in my eyes within 10 meters. Oh, It's my bike. Luckily I was walking in the right direction without knowing it. I  jumped and started the bike and rode back to the path leading to Guntalum. I felt too much guilt, as well as happiness, and consoled myself as Mother Nature has been punishing me instantly.


Everywhere looked same.



Well, we will return to the story:
This part of the story is interesting, Let us hear from KA'S language:

The afternoon wore slowly on, the heat from the blazing sun beating directly on the exposed rock and bathing Anderson in sweat. Looking down the nullah in both directions, all was still and nothing disturbed the rays of shimmering heat that arose from the baked earth. Absence of vultures could be accounted for by the fact that, in the position the tigress had left it beneath the sharply-sloping rock, the body was hidden from the sky.
Night-watchmen
 The cheering calls of the jungle-cocks and the strident 'ma-ow' of a peacock sounded from down the dry bed of the stream.





 Anderson welcomed the sound, for he knew that in the whole forest no more alert watchman than a peacock could be found and that he would warn me immediately of the tigress approach, should he see her. Now was the expected time, and with every sense intently alert he awaited the return of the man-killer. But nothing happened, the peacock flapped heavily away and dusk rapidly followed the vanquished day.


Waiting; tigress was approaching

All at once the strident belling of an alarmed sambar broke the silence and was persistently followed by a succession of similar calls from a spot about half a mile away. These were followed by the sharp cry of spotted-deer and echoed up the nullah by a restless brain-fever bird,  His nerves and muscles for final action.K A'S friends, the night-watchmen of the jungle, had faithfully accomplished their task and he knew the tigress was approaching and had been seen.
The calls then gradually died away. This meant that the tigress had passed out of the range of the callers and was now close by. He strained his eyes on the nullah, in which, at any moment, he expected the man-eater to appear. But nothing happened. Thirty minutes passed, then forty-five, by the hands of his wrist-watch, clearly visible in the moonlight.
Sixth sense
He thought; the tigress should have appeared long ago. She would not take forty-five minutes to cover half a mile.  And then a horrible feeling of imminent danger came over. Many times before he had that obscure sixth sense. The tigress discovered him and ready to sprung. KA prepared for the shoot.

The heavy blast of the rifle, level with and only a few inches from his ears, mingled with that roar causes him to awaken, shivering with fear.
The tigress had not anticipated the presence of the ledge, while the blast and blinding flash of the rifle full in her face evidently deflecting her aim and deviating her purpose from slaughter to escape. She leapt right over his head, and in passing her hind foot caught the muzzle of the rifle so that it was torn fall dully on the soft sand below, where it lay beside the half-eaten corpse. Quicker than the rifle, the tigress herself reached the nullah-bed, and in two bounds and another coughing, the roar was lost to view in the thickets of the opposite bank. Shocked and hardly aware of what had happened, KA realised and descend after the rifle. He had a fear, that tigress would attack if the animal were lying wounded in the bushes.


Second  hunt for the tigress



The temple as a camp
There was no time to make a proper camp, so KA and his men decided to sleep in the deserted front portion of the temple itself.
The proximity of a man-eater is apt to overcome all scruples and principles. Anderson stood guard with the loaded rifle, while his three men blazed wood and rotting logs that lay in plenty nearby, to build a fire for their warmth and protection, for on this occasion there was no friendly moon and it would soon be dark. Under such circumstances, attempting to sit-up for the man-eater, in the hope of its passing near the temple, were both highly dangerous and futile.


The Jallamariamman Temple in Forest. Forest station also be seen. The deity is believed too strong and animal sacrifice is a normal ritual here. Pilgrims gather in front of this temple to scarify goats and cocks and distribute its flesh to everybody on Tuesdays.  



Soon they had a bright fire blazing, on the inner side of which they sat, away from the pitch-black jungle night, which could easily have sheltered the murderer, all unknown to them, within a distance of two feet. Listening intently, they occasionally heard the deep belling boom of sambar, and Anderson could hear a harsher note of a stag, but not follow in persistent repetition, showing that the animals had not been unduly alarmed by any such king of the Indian jungle.
The boulders around the temple lie exactly as KA mentioned.

Third hunt for the tigress

The dry bed of Gundalum River, It was really difficult to cross in a bike. I fell down on both occasions but some friendly villagers helped me in rescuing myself.
Anderson remained in the locality of Gundalam for a further 10 days with no success in tracking the tigress. On the eleventh day, he left Gundalam for his home in Bangalore, promising the Sub-Collector that he would return should another attack be reported.
 Three months later, Anderson received a verified account of a tiger in Gundalam involving an old priest being killed at the door of a temple in Sulekunta. Anderson went to Gundalam to learn more of the attack. All eyewitnesses to the attack and others confirmed that the animal was missing an ear. Three days later, Anderson received news from Jowlagiri stating that the night-watchman of Jowlagiri Forest Reserve had also been killed. Knowing that the tigress would not strike at the same place twice in a row, Anderson returned to the temple at Sulekunta with 12 men. where the tigress was heard calling. Anderson imitated the calls, attracting the tigress to his location. When the tigress approached, Anderson recognised her by her missing ear. Before the tigress could realise the deception, Anderson fired his .405 into her forehead and finished the animal with a shot to the back of the neck.





Temple Premises where goats and cocks are sacrificed.

This time, however, they were not to spend a peaceful night. The sambar and kakur were restless from night-fall,and at 8.30 p.m.they heard a tiger calling from a spot to be half a mile away. This was repeated an hour later from quite close, and Anderson could then easily distinguish the intonations of a tigress calling for a mate. The tigress had also seen the camp-fire and become aware of the proximity of humans and, obviously hoping for a meal, she twice circled the temple, her repeated mating calls being interspersed by distinctly audible grunts of anticipation.





Last walking way of a man-eating Tigeress

I like to assume this lone tree, exactly quarter mile from the temple,and along the way is matching to the shooting spot of the tigress.

Call of a Tiger
Anderson succeeded in keeping the Maneater in the vicinity till daylight. Twice he gave the answering call of a male tiger and received at once the urgent summons of this imperious female. Indeed, she came to the edge of the clearing and called so loudly as almost to paralyze them all. He was careful, however, not to call while she was in the immediate vicinity, which might have aroused her suspicions. At the same time, Anderson instructed the men to talk rather loudly, and not over-stoke the already blazing fire, instructions which were most unwelcome. He hoped by these means, between mating urge and appetite, to keep the tigress in the vicinity till morning.
 The Shoot
 Anderson imitated the calls, and tigress was heard.  When the tigress approached, Anderson recognised her by her missing ear. Before the tigress could realise the deception, Anderson fired his .405 into her forehead and finished the animal with a shot to the back of the neck.


  Regret
Anderson allowed the people a short hour in which to feast their eyes. Then he returned to the village, where willing hands helped to lash the tigress across the rear seat of his two-seater Studebaker, to begin a homeward journey with the comforting thought that he had lived down my error and avenged the deaths of many humans.
Anchetty Forest Bungalow,   dates before the 1950s, where KA stayed in his visits to Anchetty. Probably same place depicted in the above pic of trophy of the Tiger with KA and his car.

Anderson expressed regret at his strategy, having later written;
“The dreaded killer of Jowlagiri had come to a tame and ignominious end, unworthy of her career, and although she had been a murderer, silent, savage and cruel, a pang of conscience troubled me as to my unsporting ruse in encompassing her end.”
Ref: —“The Man-Eater of Jowlagiri”, from Nine Man-Eaters and One Rogue, Kenneth Anderson, Allen & Unwin, 1954



5 comments:

  1. dats awesome narration dude.. u made my day.. we plan to visit the places..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Naren you must visit the places.. good luck

      Delete
  2. Interesting posts.
    Would like to hear from you. I'm a chief conservator of forests, tn.
    Jagdish. Whatsapp 7010327618. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks to your research we know about this lovely story about this village. Thank you very much for documenting this. -Hari Krishnan

    ReplyDelete
  4. Have you stayed there in forest house?

    ReplyDelete

Please leaveyou your valuable query here. I am Happy to assist you